Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Soap Bag // DIY



My Husband had a soap bag growing up, and I've been meaning to make one since we've been married. They cut down on soap waste because #1 they hang instead of sit in a puddle of water in the shower and #2 they make using up soap bits and pieces so easy! After 3 1/2 years I'm finally getting around to it! It was super easy to whip out and I actually made three of them in no time. This project should take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes.

>< Soap Bag // DIY ><

Supplies: mesh material of some kind (I salvaged my material from a broken laundry sorter that I was throwing away. Think outside the box!)/ sewing machine/ thread/ scissors/ cord of some kind (it could be a shoe lace, pretty ribbon, etc. I crocheted a chain from cotton yarn)/ safety pin/ bead

Step One: Cut a rectangle roughly double the size of the bar of soap you will be using. (Refer to photo #1) (Err on the side of generosity at this point. If the finished product is slightly large that is perfectly fine, but if it's too small it will be useless.)

Step Two: Fold in half. (Refer to photo #2)

Step Three: Sew along the bottom and side. (Refer to photos #3 and #4) 


Step Four: While still inside out fold down approximately 1 inch. and sew for a casing. (Refer to photo below.) Be sure not to sew completely around, but leave a small opening for the drawstring.




Step Five: Attach the safety pin to the cord and thread through casing. Slide on the bead and tie a not in the ends of your cord. 




There you have it! Just five simple steps and voila', you have your very own soap bag!




Enjoy!

~Clair

3 comments:

  1. Love it Clair! Ours is still going strong and it is the one that Mom had made Ryan before we were even married! I love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I hope to get a lot of good use from it,and I hope that it will one day hold my own homemade soap!

      Delete
  2. We have loved our soap bags for years now! One lasts for so many years before an edge wears out. I think we are on our second in oh so many years. It's great for lye soap or store-bought soap. Enjoy using yours! ~Mom M.

    ReplyDelete