Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Our Sunday Afternoon Excursion

This past Sunday after an encouraging worship service, we took a drive through the country down to the Shawnee National forest.

With a basket containing some tasty morsels, our camera, and my crochet basket, (just in case :0) we set off for an afternoon adventure!

It was a beautiful, crisp afternoon, with just enough warmth to leave our jackets behind.

We started our fun with what we call a 'Course Meal'. A course meal is where every course comes from someplace different. Passing Arby's I looked entreating at Trey, thus our first course was a Jr. Ham and Cheddar. We then pulled into the nearby Huck's gas station for gas and drinks. Trey knew exactly what he wanted and filled his cup with Mountain Dew, and after much deliberation (and nearly three whole minutes!) I settled for Raspberry Sweet Tea.

As we pulled out of Huck's Trey spotted a sign at Dairy Queen advertising buy one get one free blizzards! It wasn't at all time for the next course, but would you have passed up a deal like that? No, I didn't think you would have. So with childish glee we continued down the road with Trey's yummy "Double Chocolate Cookie Dough" and my delicious "Pumpkin Pie" treats!

It wasn't long before we found the perfect spot to eat the bread and cheese that I had packed and to take a few pictures!


I seized my photo opportunity with my husband!




The tunic sweater I am wearing is one that I finished  crocheting  last week! Being a very simple pattern it did not take long to complete. It was my  first successfully  completed garment for myself!



Isn't he handsome?

Okay, we had to have a few silly ones, right?



I'm really pretty strong, you know...
Here are the remains of a house that was built into the side of the cliff.

After driving in circles for a few hours, without finding the place we were looking for, yet enjoying the scenic drive all along the way, we did stop at the beautiful One Horse Gap Lake.
I'm stand among the knees of a Cypress tree!
After driving a little further we found this...





It was amazing to see how truly large the cut stones  were!


After enjoying what was to be seen there, we drove on down the road to Ox Lot Cave.

This photo was a little blurry, so I edited it and it looks like an enchanted forest! 


Ox Lot Cave
(It was actually bigger than it looks in this photo.)

The spring inside Ox Lot Cave where the loggers watered their Oxen in the 1930's. 



We enjoyed hiking and spending an afternoon together and felt ready to tackle the new week!
~Clair M.

4 comments:

  1. Love the sweater and I love all of your pictures! I can't wait to get a computer so I can start editing pics again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so exciting to make something that I could actually wear!!! Have you seen the tunic I made for Grace? I made it for me, but it was like a child's size large instead of an adult size Large! The neckline was like 5 inches across, and when on I looked like I was choking! Rhonda even helped me with the pattern and we believe we followed it exactly. It was either me or a faulty pattern.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day it looks like you guys had. I am so glad that you started a blog- love the layout and the posts thus far! Great job also on your sweater. See ya this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Amanda! It was a great day! Can't wait to see you!

      Delete