Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Memories From the Past: Celebrating my 17th Birthday with my Family...

Growing up, birthdays were very special. Mom would cook us a delicious meal, complete with some favorite dish that we had requested. All throughout the day Mom would do little things to make 'our day' seem special.



There would always be a home baked cake or dessert of our choice. On this particular birthday, my 17th, I requested a blackberry cobbler, (my mom makes the BEST blackberry cobbler!). Whatever age we were, Mom would always put that amount of candles on. Someone would turn out the lights and everyone would sing happy birthday, their faces aglow with the candle light. There would be a pause, and out would go all of the candles with one breath of air. The room would be dark and still, but only for a moment and then the lights would come on and the festivities would continue. 

We never had big birthday parties where we invited lots of people, we just gathered together as a family and the Grandparents would come over. We would talk and laugh and of course there were presents!

I'm now married and have a home of my own and in a few days I'll be celebrating my twenty-second birthday, but the memories of birthdays gone by will always be with me. Thanks Mom and Dad, for all of those special Birthdays!

~Clair

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really similar to our birthdays growing up! Such happy memories. Happy birthday today Clair. You are a beautiful lady. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! I love you, too! Thanks for sharing my birthday with me! I had a great time!

      Delete