Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

What's more important, a House or a Home?


I was chatting with my 9 year old little sister Grace in the back seat of my parents car while nearing there home one evening. We passed a large, stately, brick house surrounded by pine trees and with a giggle she said: "The boys (our little nephews) thought you lived there. That would be really funny if you lived there." Judging from the way she said it, with a sinking heart I instantly thought, "She thinks it would be strange because I live in an old, rundown house trailer which could not compare to such a house as that." But these were her next words as she snuggled up beside me:

"Sissy, I love your little house trailer. It's just so...cosy."

I got a little tear in my eye. In her eyes an old, run down house trailer was better than a large brick house, because of the love inside. 




Sometimes I'm a little self conscious about our house. It's a house trailer from the seventies and has seen better days, that's for sure. Everything inside seems to be falling apart and as time goes on the floor seems to be getting more and more un-level. There's not much storage space and my laundry room is really just a washing machine stuck inside the hallway closet.




We live in a culture of 'we have to have it all right now!' We must keep up with the Jones' and if we can't, by all means, don't let anyone find out! Most Americans are in debt, many of which are in it up to their ears! Only 2% of homes in America are paid for. My Husband and I began our life together with a vision to live debt free. So far we have accomplished that goal, but we've had to set aside present pleasures for future benefits. We don't have a large and fancy house, but it is paid for. We've gone through some tough times and will continue to as we live on my Husband's one income, (which, by the way, he runs his own business). We've made financial mistakes and everything hasn't always turned out as we expected, but we are learning and God has certainly blessed us immeasurably!

Do you ever feel insecure about the building you call home? Perhaps it's old and run down. Is it not what you imagined you'd be living in?

"But godliness with contentment is great gain."
                                                       1 Timothy 6:6

What's more important, a house or a home? I'm not saying you can't have both, because you most certainly can. My question is, if you find yourself living somewhere less than optimal, how do feel about it? It is a good thing to increase your assets, but will you be discontent until you have arrived at 'affluence'.  Don't waste the precious years of your life wishing you had more, "and right now"! Work toward better things, but in the meantime take the house that you have and make it into a HOME.

My little sister loves my home because of the love she feels here. To her it is a cozy, peaceful, wonderful place. We all have a lesson to learn from that.

Enjoying the peacefulness of Home!

~Clair

No comments:

Post a Comment